Hey everybody,
So I decided to create a blog to remember everything I am experiencing. I am staying in San Ignacio, Cayo, Belize until the beginning of May. Feel free to leave comments.
Saturday, January 17, 2009
Beginning my travels
After sleeping over Lindsay’s grandparents’ house the night before, Lindsay and I headed to NewarkAirport to begin my adventure.The line to check bags was unbelievably long, but luckily we stopped a very accommodating security guard, who proceeded to take us to the front of the line, no questions asked.A man who was next in line discovered that I was “cutting” everybody else and started to raise his voice to Lindsay, but Lindsay simply said I am at the front of the line because I am traveling alone and I was going to miss my flight (which was partly true).I checked my two bags with no problems then proceeded to the security checkpoint, where I had to say good-bye to Lindsay.Once getting through the security checkpoint, I was home free…or so I thought.My flight was not delayed when I arrived at the airport and everybody boarded on time.However, we then proceeded to sit on the runway for another 2.5 hours while they de-iced all the wings of the planes.This caused me to miss my connecting flight in Houston, but there was nothing I could even do at that point on the plane.
I finally arrived in Houston and after talking to several different people, customer service told me there were no more flights to Belize that day and that I would have to fly out tomorrow.They paid for and put me up in the Baymont Inn hotel only 10 minutes away from the airport and also gave me an $8 voucher for food and a bag containing a toothbrush (now I have 4 different toothbrushes with me), toothpaste, hair spray, shampoo, a comb, a razor, and shaving cream.I called the hotel and a free shuttle picked me up from the airport.My hotel room was decent size and contained a King size bed.I then made all my phone calls, showered, and got settled for the night.In the shuttle to the hotel, I had met a young man that was on my flight and in the same situation.We got to talking and I found out he was born in Belize and is going back to visit his family for a couple days.He currently lives in Korea and works as a Kindergarten teacher, but plans on moving to Melbourne, Australia by the end of February.When we checked in at the hotel, he asked me if I wanted to do dinner, so we decided to meet at the hotel restaurant at 7.
Once it was dinner time, I met him outside and we proceeded into the restaurant together and had a cheap, but nice meal.We just talked about traveling and places we’ve been.He grew up in San Ignacio, where I will be staying, and was letting me in on all the things I should know about Belize.I also found out he is 30 years old and he did not know I was only 20 either.Nonetheless, we had a good chat and after dinner, proceeded to our own rooms to retire for the night. After making all my phone calls for the night, I washed up, set my alarm, and went to sleep in my gigantic bed…better travels tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment